A 3D cantilever beam with solid elements was modelled on abaqus and the deflections were calculated. Repeating the analysis on Abaqus using different numbers of elements and element types gave a comparison of results.
1, 2 and 5 elements were modeled for each element type:
- C3D8l elements: 1 st order, 8-noded elements.
- B23 elements: cubic interpolations, do not allow transverse shear deformation.
- B22 elements: quadratic interpolations, allow transverse shear stress.
- B21 elements: linear interpolations, allows transverse shear deformation.
Theoretical calculations carried out using knowledge from mechanics and statics courses.
This was compared with test data to produce to provide percentage errors in computational analysis.
- Developed familiarity with abaqus FEA analysis
- Understanding of need to check analysis with hand calculations
- Understanding necessity to efficiently model when carrying out a computational FEA to save computing power, time and money.